Here's one for all you football fans: delicious homemade guacamole for Superbowl Sunday. Guacamole is a favorite in this house. My husband's eyes light up whenever I make a batch. I like to spoon it onto turkey tacos, Mexican salads, or use it as a dip for just about any finger food you could imagine. I've experimented with several different guac recipes and this is my favorite one so far. It's fresh and packed with flavor. Mmm yum.
2-3 ripe avocados
1/2 small white or purple onion, diced
1-2 tomatoes or handful cherry tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely diced (1-2 tbsp)
1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro, stems removed, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (omit if non-spicy guac is desired)
***Important note: Don't rub your eyes or touch sensitive skin when
handling fresh peppers. The capsacian in jalapenos can cause a burning
sensation that is very unpleasant. Ideally, wear cook's gloves or use a
piece of saran wrap to handle raw peppers.
1. Prepare the onion, jalapeno, tomato, and cilantro. Set aside.
2. Juice the lime into a medium bowl. Scoop the avocado into the bowl. Stir to coat the avocado pieces in the lime juice. If there is a lot of excess lime juice in the bowl, drain it off into a separate bowl. (Don't throw it away in case you want to adjust the flavor later.)
3. Add the cumin, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne to the avocado. Using a potato masher, smash the avocado and spices together until the avocado looks creamy with a few chunks.
4. Stir in the onion, tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap so the plastic is in direct contact with the guacamole (ie the plastic wrap is sitting in the bowl). This helps prevent oxidation, which will turn the avocado brown.
6. Let the guacamole sit on the counter for about 1 hour so the flavors will combine and mellow nicely.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Additional lime juice will add tartness, additional cayenne makes a hotter guac, and additional cilantro adds extra freshness.